- Instructor: Edgar SIMO-SERRA
- Dates: Oct, 2019〜Jan, 2020
- Lectures: Thursday, 4th Period (14:45〜16:15)
- Room: Room 56-104
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course covers elementary discrete mathematics for computer science and engineering. An emphasis is given on mathematical definitions and proof with topics covering proof methods, induction, graph theory, counting and discrete probability. The course will be given in English.
The course will be evaluated fundamentally with a midterm examination on the 8th week and a final examination on the 15th week. In the case that the midterm evaluation goes poorly, it will not be used in the evaluation, which will then be based on fundamentally the final examination. Small in-class quizzes and attendance will also be considered in the final grade.
- Introduction and Proofs slides MCS Chapters 1+2 DM Chapter 1
- No Class
- Induction I slides MCS Chapter 2+5 DM Chapter 5
- Induction II slides MCS Chapter 5 DM Chapter 5
- Number Theory I slides MCS Chapter 9 DM Chapter 4
- Number Theory II slides MCS Chapter 9 DM Chapter 4
- Graph Theory I slides MCS Chapter 10+11 DM Chapter 10
- Midterm Examination
- Graph Theory II slides MCS Chapter 12+13 DM Chapter 10
- No Class
- Probability slides MCS Chapter 17 DM Chapter 7
- Conditional Probability slides MCS Chapter 18
- Expectation I slides MCS Chapter 19
- Expectation II slides MCS Chapter 20
- Final Examination
- MCS Main Textbook Eric Lehman, F. Thomson Leighton, Albert R. Meyer, Mathematics for Computer Science, 2017. PDF
- DM Kenneth Rosen, Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications, McGraw-Hill Education, 2018.